UVa-Wise to conduct tornado drill on March 20
The Commonwealth of Virginia's Tornado Preparedness Day is Tuesday, March 20. UVa-Wise is participating in the statewide tornado drill, scheduled to begin at 9:45 a.m. We will test our AlertNow text message, campus email, siren and web notification systems.
During the emergency notification system test you should:
• Receive an AlertNow text message if you have signed up for the notification
• Receive an e-mail on your campus account
• See a test message on the UVa-Wise home page
• Hear the siren if you are outdoors
• You will receive an all clear message following the drill
You are not required to take any action during the drill, but we encourage you to plan how you would shelter from a tornado.
For further information, visit our emergency preparation webpage at
WHAT YOU CAN DO TO BE PREPARED FOR A TORNADO
Familiarize yourself with terms that define a tornado hazard:
• Tornado Watch: Conditions are favorable for a tornado to form.
• Tornado Warning: A tornado has been sighted, is approaching, and you should shelter in place.
• Prepare by determining shelter areas from a tornado in advance:
• The safest place is in a basement.
• If there is no basement, a center hallway, bathroom or closet on the lowest floor is optimal.
• Avoid areas with windows.
• If you do not have time to go to the lowest floor, pick a place in a hallway in the center of the building.
• If you are outside, seek shelter in a sturdy building.
• If there is no time to get into a building, lie down flat in a ditch or depression; facing down, cover your head with your hands and arms.
The locker rooms and restrooms on the bottom floor of the Slemp Student Center offer some protection if you are in that building during a tornado