UVa-Wise Endowed Scholarship Funds
The 22nd Annual Scholarship Luncheon was held on Saturday, March 23, 2013 in the David J. Prior Convocation Center. A record number of scholarship donors and scholarship recipients attended the annual event.
This year’s student speaker was graduating senior Evan W. Nunery '13, recipient of the Colgate Darden Scholarship Fund and the Betty J. Gilliam Scholarship Fund. Offering a special thanks on the behalf of the students, he specifically thanked the Gilliam family for providing funding for the amazing Gilliam Center for the Arts where he has spent a great deal of time.
Rhonda M. Perkins, class of 1973, offered remarks on behalf of the donors and said it was a privilege to have the opportunity to give back to the college. Having served as president of the Alumni Association and as a member of the Foundation Board and College Board, she is well aware of the importance of giving back both financially and in service. Perkins challenged the students to become engaged in the college now and later as alumni.
A record number of new endowed scholarship funds (established from March 1 2012-March 1, 2013) were announced at the luncheon including:
- First Bank and Trust Scholarship Fund
- Longs Fork Elementary School PTO Scholarship Fund
- Darrell & Joy P. Holbrook Football Scholarship Fund
- Hunt Commercial Properties Group Athletic Scholarship Fund
- John “Jack” Mahony Phi Sigma Kappa Alumni Scholarship Fund
- Mount Olive Freewill Baptist Church Scholarship Fund
- Stewart McFall and Nellie Mullins McFall Memorial Scholarship
- Jennifer Lockhart Quillen Scholarship Fund
- John R. and Ruby S. Salyers Scholarship
- Ralph L. Siemen Scholarship Fund
- John R. Stafford, Jr. Scholarship Fund
- Carroll Dale & Tracy Stallard Scholarship Fund
- Ernest C. Starker Memorial Athletic Scholarship Fund
- Student Government Association Student Leader Scholarship Fund
- Claude V. and Berniece Warren Education Major Scholarship Fund
- Jim Whitt Scholarship Fund
- Danny E. Wilson Scholarship Fund
A very special thanks to our alumni and friends who funded an endowed scholarship fund this year including: The late Helen and Leland V. McFall, Teri S. Coffey, Carroll Dale, Tami’ 90 and Winston Ely ‘61, Darrell ‘73and Joy Holbrook ‘77, Fran’80 and Martha Hunt’ 81, Christopher & Jennifer Lockhart Quillen’01, Ruby Salyers’70, Norma Siemen’85, John Stafford, Tracy Stallard, Berniece Warren and Danny Wilson.
Each year we are pleased to partner with alumni and friends who commit to raising the required funds to endow a scholarship in honor or memory of a former classmate, faculty member or someone in their community which impacted the lives of many people. This year the following individuals were instrumental in this way. Phillip Blevins’13, Dwight Bryant, Williametta Bryant, Cory Dotson, Kent Grant’97, Billie Horton, Bruce Lowe’77, Lawton Mullins’04, Danny Rose’78, Nan Short, Rodney Stanley’97, Nelmalena Turner, Brenda Wallen, Jessica’01 and James Wilson’01.