Appreciated Securities Summary
If your investments in the financial markets have been successful, you can use these assets without losing a substantial portion of your earnings to the capital gains tax by making your gift with appreciated stock. It is also possible to make a gift with appreciated securities in a mutual fund.
- Receive an immediate income tax deduction for the fair market value of your securities.
- Pay no capital gains tax on the transfer.
- Specify the purpose of your gift or let the college direct your gift towards its greatest needs.
- Make a significant gift to the college without adversely affecting your cash flow.
- A gift of appreciated securities may also be used to fund a charitable gift annuity providing income to the donor now and benefiting UVa-Wise later. Learn more about a charitable gift annuity.
For more information
of Development & College Relations
The University of Virginia's College at Wise
One College Avenue
Wise, VA 24293
Download a Planned Gift Document.
Click for Making a Planned Gift Homepage.
UVa-Wise does not provide legal, tax or financial advice. We strongly recommend that you consult professional advisors on all legal, tax or financial matters, including gift planning considerations. To ensure compliance with certain IRS requirements, we disclose to you that this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of avoiding tax-related penalties.