Frequently Asked Questions


What appliances are allowed?
The following items are permitted in each residence hall room.  Please note specifications for some items.  Should you have questions about items not listed, please contact the Office of Housing & Residence Life for more information.

coffee pot iron ceramic heater
lamp floor fan radio
vacuum cleaner stereo electric razor
clock television hair dryer
refrigerator* toaster small microwave*
Crock-pot popcorn popper without open coils
power strip w/reset button  

*Refrigerators may not exceed four (4) cubic feet, and microwaves may not exceed 800 watts.  All microwaves and refrigerators must be plugged into power strips with both surge protection and reset buttons.  Note that Asbury & Thompson Halls, Houses, and Townhouses already have refrigerators. UVa-Wise also offers rental Microfridge units which contain both a microwave and refrigerator.  The rental form is available online.

What items are not allowed?
The College reserves the right to prohibit certain possessions in campus housing facilities. The following items are prohibited.  Other items may be prohibited at the discretion of the Director of Residence Life.

Candles/incense Pets other than fish
Exterior radio aerials Wireless routers
Gas/charcoal/George Foreman grills Halogen lamps
Heaters - open coil Holiday lights 
Toaster ovens 'Octopus' plugs
Sandwich/quesadilla/similar grills Anything that hangs out window
Extension cords (only power strips with reset buttons are acceptable) Kegs of beer, empty alcohol bottles/cans or other alcohol paraphernalia
Window air conditioners and other fans/units that install into windows Illegal drugs/narcotics including any drug-related apparatus (bongs, water pipes, roach clips, etc.)
Weaponry, including hunting bows/rifles* Fireworks/Combustibles*

* Firearms & Weapons  The possession, storage, or use of any kind of weapons including but not limited to: firearms, air rifles or air pistols, BB guns, brass knuckles, ammunition, firecrackers or fireworks, nunchakus, gasoline, explosives or other combustible materials, and knives with a blade longer than four inches, other than ones used as kitchen tools is prohibited.  Please consult the Campus Police Department for additional information. 

* Fireworks & Combustibles  The possession, storage or use of any kind of fireworks and/or combustibles including but not limited to any kind of ammunition, firecrackers or fireworks, gasoline, or any other explosives or combustible materials are not permitted.

What is a loft?  Can I have one?
A loft allows the residence hall bed to be raised to maximize space in your residence hall room. By lofting the bed, students are able to use the space below for the desk and dresser, thereby increasing living space.  Lofts are provided at the Townhouses and are available for rent in all most other halls. 

Only those lofts rented from the Office of Housing & Residence Life are permitted.  The Loft Kit Rental Agreement is available online.

What is the decorations policy?
Only 10% of the walls and doors of a residence hall room or apartment may be covered with pictures, photos, posters, and/or other material; no decorations may be placed or hung from the ceiling.  All wall decorations must be at least 24 inches from the ceiling.  Any type of fabric or material, including curtains, over the blinds and/or windows is not permitted.  All exterior door and window decorations, other than message boards, that are visible from outside must be approved by the Director of Residence Life.

For holiday decorations, all decorative materials should be flameproof, fireproof, flame retardant or rendered as such by treatment solutions.  Materials unlikely to be rendered flameproof by ordinary treatment include natural leaves, tree branches, cornstalks, hay, cotton batting, and similar objects.  Only artificial trees are permitted.  Decorative holiday lights are not allowed.  Any candles, gas/oil-fired lanterns, or other items with an open flame are not allowed. Decorations must be removed before the winter break.  Under no circumstances should trees remain in the halls over the holidays.  Individual students or floors will be charged if Residence Life staff or Facilities staff has to remove trees or other items.


Violations of this policy will result in being charged with a Health & Safety violation.


What furniture is provided in the room/apartment?
Each room is furnished with a desk & chair, bed frame, mattress, closet/wardrobe, chest of drawers, and blinds. Apartments and suites with living rooms are furnished with sofas, side chair(s), TV stand, and coffee and end table(s); kitchens include small dining table and chairs, refrigerators, and stoves with ovens.

Mattresses are seven inches think and measure approximately 36”x82”.  While furniture varies from hall to hall, approximate measurements for basic furniture includes: chest of drawers – 38”L x 22”W x 30”H and desk – 42”L x 22”W x 30”H.

What should I bring for my room?
The following are some often overlooked basic necessities, as well as optional items, that you should consider as you prepare for living in campus housing.  Be sure to check with your roommate(s) to avoid duplication of some items.

jacket/sweater raincoat/umbrella clothes hangers 
season-appropriate clothing toiletries sheets (twin-long)*
blanket(s) & pillow alarm clock cleaning supplies
toilet paper (pvt baths only) telephone answering machine
television small fan computer 
storage containers microwave refrigerator  

*All beds are twins but since some mattresses are thicker than the average mattress, we recommend twin-long sheets. 

Where are the laundry facilities located?
There are laundry facilities located in Asbury, Commonwealth, Culbertson, Henson, and McCraray Halls, plus the Houses and the Townhouses.  Washers and dryers are coin and/or CAVS Card ID operated.  The 2011-2012 rate for each machine was $1.25 per load (future rates are subject to change). 

Machines are maintained and serviced by Caldwell and Gregory, who also process any refund requests, and their contact information is posted in each laundry facility.  Only machines provided and maintained by Caldwell and Gregory are permitted; students may not bring their own machines or disable provided machines.

Are cable & telephone services provided?
Each unit has local telephone (except in Commonwealth Hall) and cable TV service (televisions should be cable-ready) provided at no additional cost (costs are included in residence hall fee payment). 

Each student is responsible for providing his/her own telephone.  Phones should have touch-tone capability and include the # (pound) and * (star) keys.  The telephone number for the unit is imprinted on the wall outlet.  Long distance service is available through use of a student’s personal calling card.  Students are prevented from accepting collect calls on any campus telephone.  Placing an operator-assisted call billed to any other campus telephone number also is prohibited.

The wall outlet for each is located in the main living space for each room/suite/apartment; there are not individual outlets in the bedrooms of suites and apartments.

The wall outlet for cable is located in the main living space for each room/suite/apartment; there are not individual outlets in the bedrooms of suites and apartments.  The College provides cable television service with 60+ channels, including major networks ESPN, CNN, TNT, WGN, MTV, and Food Network.


What are the College’s technology policies?
The Office of Information Technology (IT) provides a Responsible Computing Handbook for Students (also online at that outlines UVa-Wise computer use guidelines. It is the responsibility of every individual using a computer connected to the campus network to abide by campus network policy and applicable law.  Failure to do so can result in the loss of network privileges. 

Examples of prohibited conduct include, but are not limited to, account sharing, unauthorized access or attempted access of others' files or computing resources, willful distribution of harmful files (such as viruses), distribution of SPAM, and unauthorized access or distribution of copyrighted material. 

IT staff are available in the residence halls throughout the semester for troubleshooting.  However, personal computer software and/or hardware is not maintained by the IT staff. 

What about internet access?
UVa-Wise IT staff are available during move-in days each semester, as well as throughout the semester, and by calling the Help Desk at 276-376-4509.  You may also visit for specific requirements and tutorials.

Residents in Asbury, Commonwealth, Culbertson, Henson, Martha Randolph, McCraray, and Thompson Halls have two Ethernet outlets in each bedroom and do not need a modem to access the College network with their PC’s, however, an Ethernet cable is required.  A guide for establishing an Ethernet connection is available on-line.

Townhouses and Houses each have a single Comcast high speed internet port in the living room; removal of the modem will result in an assessed fine.  Please report any problems with the high speed internet in these halls to the Office of Housing & Residence Life at 276-328-0214 so a Comcast technician can be scheduled.


Who is the Residence Life staff?
The Director of Residence Life (DRL) & Assistant Director of Residence Life (ADRL) provide a comprehensive residence life program at UVa-Wise, including daily supervision, oversight and strategic planning for the Residence Life staff and serving as resources to our more than 800 residential students. Their offices are located in the Student Life suite on the lower-level of Cantrell Hall.

Community Coordinators (CC) are responsible for assisting with the daily operations in one of the three residential communities on campus.  The CC provides direct supervision to the RA staff in his/her community as well as coordinating and overseeing all mediations, resolving conflicts, and programming initiatives in his/her assigned community.

Resident Advisors (RAs) are students trained to serve as resources, peer counselors, and community builders. All residents should get to know their RAs the first day on campus. 

Who is Campus Police?
The College provides 24-hour/day coverage of campus with a staff of full-time police officers certified by the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services.  Students may contact the officer(s) on duty by calling 276-328-COPS or by accessing one of the emergency phones on campus.  The Campus Police Office is located on the lower-level of Cantrell Hall.

What resources are available in the Center for Student Development?
The Center for Student Development units include Career Services, Counseling Services, Health Services, and Multi-Cultural Affairs and is located on the lower-level of Cantrell Hall.

Career Services offers students a wide variety of personal and online resources. From one-on-one and group information
sessions to career fairs and campus interviews, we have what you need to make informed decisions every step of the way in planning your career or graduate studies. UVa-Wise Link is an online complete Career Services management system which includes cover letter, resume and job search opportunities.

Counseling Services focuses on helping the student better manage the transitions involved in a successful college experience.  UVa-Wise counselors are professionals who provide free, confidential counseling to students experiencing personal, social, emotional, or educational problems. 

Health Services at UVa-Wise is staffed by a full-time registered nurse and a weekly family nurse practitioner from our contracted health provider, MSHA Norton Community Hospital, provided through student fees.  Free student services include health assessments, allergy shots (student provides own prescribed medication), minor first-aid treatments, blood pressure checks, seasonal & H1N1 flu vaccinations (at designated times), and over-the-counter medications (including acetaminophen, ibuprofen, throat lozenges, cold & allergy medicines, stomach aids, lip balm, etc.).  Health counseling also is provided on a variety of topics, including STD's, HIV, colds & flu, poison ivy, and nutrition.

The Wise County Health Department provides STI testing, birth control, pap smears, and family planning in Health Services each Tuesday. Fees are income based or billed to student insurance.

Students from a variety of cultures add welcomed diversity to the campus of UVa-Wise.  Multi-Cultural Affairs coordinates and/or collaborates on a variety of campus events and programs throughout each academic year.  Lectures, forums, fashion shows, and even dining events educate campus community members about specific cultures, celebrate national holidays, and otherwise bring opportunities for diverse learning to UVa-Wise.

What is available in the Slemp Student Center?
The Slemp Student Center (SSC) is the hub of campus, connecting the upper and lower campus in a facility offering students a wide variety of activities and opportunities.  In the facility, you will find the Bookstore, racquetball courts, locker rooms, fitness center, aerobics room, a game room, a student leadership wing with student organization offices (SGA, Highland Cavalier, Jimson Weed, Greek cubicles), the Honor Court Conference Room, the only campus ATM, post office, two cafe eatery options, and additional conference and meeting rooms.  Visit the 3rd floor Check Desk for no cost check-in for the fitness center or check-out of recreational equipment, or for a $5 Cavs Card ID or replacement.

Also in the SSC, you will find the 3rd floor offices of Student Activities, Greek Life, Intramurals, Leadership, and Outdoor Recreation.From concerts, movies and comedians to the bonds of brother/sisterhood, as well as flag football, video game tournaments and camping, hiking and skydiving, there are always numerous opportunities for you to get involved in co- and extra-curricular activities at UVa-Wise.

What academic support is available?
Academic Support Services at UVa-Wise is provided through The Tutor Connection, Student Support Services, Disability Services, and The Writing Center.  Free tutoring to all UVa-Wise students and additional academic supports for students who qualify for Student Support Services and Disability Services are available. The Writing Center focuses on interdisciplinary writing supports at all levels.  Visit for more information.


What are the Community Councils?
The Community Councils are an elected form of hall government and are a departmental programming body.  All students living in a community are welcome and encouraged to participate in that community’s council.  Each council is responsible for activities and programs to promote a positive living environment and the development of a sense of community within the larger living community.

What is the NRHH? 
The National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH) chapter at UVa-Wise recognizes the top 1% of residential student leaders.  These students have contributed vast amounts of time and energy to the residence life program at the College through their numerous involvements including, but not limited to, RA positions, RHA, program & conference participation, and the Campus Judicial Board.


What is the RHA? 
The Residence Hall Association is an elected student body responsible for campus wide residential programming.  RHA is affiliated with the following state, regional and national collegiate residence hall associations – VACURH, SAACURH, and NACURH.  




What does it cost to live on campus & for meal plans?
Visit the Cashier’s Office webpage for the most current cost information at

Should I use my College email address? 
YES, the email address you received ending in ‘’ is used for official College communications, including academic notices, schedules & events, parking & construction updates, and emergency notifications.

Do I need a CAVS Card? Where do I get it? 
YES, the CAVS Card is your official College identification card.  It also serves a variety of other important purposes, including: meal plan card, library card, athletic pass (for all regular season, home events), debit system card (deposit monies at the Cashier’s Office for ‘just-like-cash’ purchases in the Bookstore and the Dining Hall), and vending/laundry card (deposit monies at the Cashier’s Office for purchases from campus vending and laundry machines; monies are ‘use it or lose it’).

New student cards are made during summer orientation and are distributed at Expedition (extended orientation just before August classes begin) for new students entering in the fall semester.  Cards for new students entering in the spring semester are made during the orientation session held on the Monday before classes begin.  Returning student and replacement cards are made during regular business hours in the Student Center Office on the 4th floor of the Slemp Student Center.

Cards must not be defaced in any way (no decals, punched holes for keyrings, etc.).  There is a $5 charge for your CAVS Card or a replacement card.  Cards expire when a student graduates or is no longer enrolled at the College.

What items should I consider in making the decision to live off campus?
Choosing to live off campus is a decision that requires much consideration.  Beyond the collegial environment and experience that campus living offers, there are a variety of things to consider including lease/rent expense, deposits for utilities, food expense, safety and security, laundry, and garbage removal.  Please review the Off Campus Housing Guide (pdf format - updated June 2013) which outlines items for you to consider as well as a listing of available rental options in the area.

Can I bring a car to campus?  Parking?
Any student bringing a car to campus should register the car and purchase a parking decal at Orientation or before the first  day of classes at the Campus Police Department on the lower-level of Cantrell  Hall.  Please consult the Rules & Regulations brochure for specific parking information or visit

What is the availability of transportation assistance for semester and year-end breaks?
The Campus Police Department works with students to provide transportation assistance for residential students who are leaving/returning to campus for semester and/or year-end breaks.  This transportation is only provided to students who do not have a vehicle on campus.  Please note the following details:

  • Students must provide a five (5) day advance notice of transportation needs to the Campus Police Department, except in the case of a verifiable emergency.
  • There is a $25 one-way fee required per student being transported to or from the Greyhound Bus Stations (Bristol or Kingsport, TN) or the Tri-Cities Regional Airport (Blountville, TN); the roundtrip fee is $50.
  • Each student must be at the designated pick-up point ten (10) minutes before campus departure time.  It is the responsibility of the student to be on time.  The driver is not responsible for contacting individual students who are not present when the shuttle is ready to leave campus.
  • If a student requests transportation and then makes other arrangements without notifying Campus Police, the transportation fee will still be billed to the student's account.
  • Transportation requests must be arranged during regular business hours each week day with the Campus Police Department at 276-328-0190 or by coming into the Cantrell Hall office.

What lodging is available in the Wise/Norton area for my family/guests?
In the immediate area, we have:  Best Western 276-328-3500, Days Inn 276-679-5340, Holiday Inn 276-679-6655, Inn at Norton 276-679-7000, and Super 8 276-679-0893.