Slemp Student Center Home
The $10.9 million, 46,234 square foot C. Bascom Slemp Student Center effectively bridges the upper and lower campus while providing recreational space and office and meeting areas for the Student Government Association, Highland Cavalier, Honor Court, Jimson Weed, Student Activities Board, the eight Greek organizations, and other student organizations.
The five-story structure blends the architectural styles of the College's two original sandstone buildings with that of the more modern red-brick classroom facilities. The result is a striking campus focal point. The Student Center's exterior is designed to create an outdoor living environment. A landscaped amphitheater provides the perfect location for a concert or event.
A dramatic four-story atrium provides exciting interior views. Expansive glass panels throughout the building create the perfect vantage point from which to gaze at the scenic vistas surrounding campus.
The Center houses the Bookstore, racquetball courts, locker rooms, a game room, fitness center, aerobics room, student leadership wing, two eateries, the campus Post Office, Jefferson Lounge, and conference meeting facilities.
The Fitness Center, located on the 3rd floor has everything students need to stay healthy. The aerobics room, home to many physical education classes, is located inside the Fitness Center.
The Fitness Center has treadmills, stationary bicycles, dumbbells, ankle weights, medicine balls, exercise balls, elliptical machines, and weight training machines.
Jefferson Lounge, located on the 4th floor provides a gathering place for many students. Jefferson Lounge in a re-creation of the original, once located in Zehmer Hall.
Coyote Jack's and Mondo Subs eateries are located on the 4th floor. They are maintained by Chartwell's Dining Services.
Both commuter & residential students can take full advantage of the Post Office. The Post Office is located on the 4th floor of the Student Center.
The building was funded by student fees and a $2.5 million gift from the C. Bascom Slemp Foundation. The Student Center is named in honor of C. Bascom Slemp (1870-1943), the Ninth District Representative to the U.S. Congress who later became the personal secretary to President Calvin Coolidge. In his will, Mr. Slemp provided for the creation of the Slemp Foundation, which provides numerous scholarships to students in Southwest Virginia and supports many other significant projects in the region.
Situated in the heart of the main campus, the C. Bascom Slemp Student Center is located directly behind Smiddy Hall and in front of John Cook Wylie Library.