Awards & Recognitions
Organization and leadership awards are presented annually at the annual Student Leadership Awards Banquet. Consideration for awards is based upon information submitted annually in the Student Leadership Awards (SLA) packet or in separate nomination and/or application forms for specific individual awards. **SLA Packets are due by noon on April 1.**
SLA Packet Awards
Student Organization Awards with the SLA Packet - Each organization submitting a complete SLA Packet will be considered for each of these awards.
- Campus Programs of the Year — new, co-sponsored, diversity, educational, fundraising, service, shoestring (big impact/low budget), social, student-presented, & best overall Awards presented for the most creative, effective and impactful programs involving students, promoting an educational and social experience, and building campus community in a fun and innovative manner in each of these categories.
- Most Improved Student Organization Recognition of the organization which has shown the most dynamic growth in programming, leadership, structure, involvement, and the most positive changes from the last academic year.
- New Student Organization of the Year Recognition of the new organization that has demonstrated outstanding efforts in its first year of service at UVa-Wise.
- Student Organization Service Excellence Recognition of the organization that has demonstrated outstanding efforts in national charitable fundraising efforts and/or contributions to the UVa-Wise campus and surrounding community.
- Student Organization of the Year Recognizes the organization that has demonstrated outstanding efforts to UVa-Wise and whose members have exemplified true leadership through charitable efforts, campus involvement and programming.
Greek Organization Awards with the SLA Packet - Each Greek organization submitting a complete SLA Packet will be considered for each of these awards.
- Academic Excellence Recognition of distinctive chapter academic achievement as determined by the previous spring & fall semesters and cumulative GPAs.
- Chapter of the Year Recognition of overall chapter excellence and contributions to UVa-Wise and the Greek Life community through academics, campus involvement, recruitment, service, and IFC/PHC involvement.
- Excellence in Campus Involvement Recognition of the chapter that demonstrated exceptional involvement by its group and individual members’ participation in campus and social activities.
- Recruitment Excellence Recognition of the Greek chapter with the greatest number of new members for the fall and spring semesters, computed as a percentage of total membership including retention of those new members.
- Service Excellence Recognition of the Greek chapter that has demonstrated outstanding efforts in support of their national philanthropy, the UVa-Wise campus and the surrounding community.
Awards Requiring Separate Applications
Awards Requiring Separate Applications - Each of these awards require separate applications for consideration. Each pdf form is linked via the award title below. All are due on April 1.
- Advisor of the Year Recognition of outstanding efforts by a club and organization advisor and the exceptional service to UVa-Wise students through involvement with a club or organization.
- Buck Henson Student Life Appreciation Award This award was established in 1998 in honor of the late Edward L. ‘Buck’ Henson, Jr., professor emeritus of history. The award serves to recognize any faculty, staff or friend of the College who has contributed to the growth and development of the student life program through participation and contribution to enhancing the quality of student life at UVa-Wise.
- Outstanding Student Leader Award Recognition of a student who has excelled in the area of student leadership during the past academic school year. Nominees should have demonstrated outstanding leadership by: serving as a positive role model; being active in at least one club or organization; being an advocate for the student body; and practicing ethical behavior, honoring commitment and displaying responsibility.
- Unsung Hero Recognizes those individuals who have exhibited the highest standards of involvement and who have made positive 'behind-the-scene' and vitally important contributions to the UVa-Wise student life program.
Greek Organization Awards Requiring Separate Applications - Each of these awards require separate applications for consideration. Each pdf form is linked via the award title below. All are due on April 1.
- Man & Woman of the Year Award Recognition of a fraternity and sorority member who promotes Greek life throughout campus, serve as campus leaders/role models to other students, and who have made strong and lasting impressions on their chapters and UVa-Wise Greek Life.
- Outstanding New Member of the Year Award Recognition of a new member of either IFC or PHC who has made strong impressions on the Greek community through involvement and participation.
For more information about any of these individual awards or the Student Leadership Awards packet, contact Stephanie Shell, Director of Student Programming, at 276-328-0216 or email@example.com.